Australia is one of the hot destinations today for tourists and job seekers all over the world. Australia records about 450,000 visitor arrivals every month. If you are not a citizen of Australia or do not hold a passport of New Zealand, then you need to apply for a visa in order to visit Australia.
An applicant holding a passport valid for 6 months from the date of travel can now apply for Australian tourist visa online. The application forms are available online and the payment can also be made through the online mode.
Features of tourist visa
The tourist visa issued by the Australian embassy or High Commission enables people to visit Australia for holiday, recreation, visit family/friends, etc. The validity period of the visa can be anything between 3 and 12 months.
Sponsored Family Stream of visitor visa(subclass 600) is issued to people who visit Australia to visit family members. The prerequisite condition of applying for this visa is a formal sponsorship of the visa applicant by a permanent citizen of Australia. A security bond may also be required by the Australian government. This visa allows the visitor to stay for a period of 3 months, however, the period can also be extended to a year under certain circumstances. There is also a provision for imposition of penalty on the sponsor in the event of the visitor breaching any visa condition.
The process of getting a valid Australian tourist visa for Indian citizens is now much smoother with the advent of online application forms. The applicant just needs to fill in the online application form on the website of the Indian mission followed by submission of all the required documents needed by the Australian High Commission. The Documents required are as follows:
- Signed physical copy of the application form.
- Covering letter addressed to the Australian High Commission, New Delhi with details of expenses and travel.
- Original passport with 6 months validity from the date of travel.
- Income tax papers detailing last three years transactions.
- Bank statement for the last 6 months showing the applicant’s name, account number, sign and bank seal.
- Salary slip of last three months.
- Travel schedule with proof of hotel stay contained passenger name and travel dates.
- Leave of letter from the employer if the applicant works in a company addressed to the Australian High Commission.
If all the eligibility conditions are met, the visa is issued within 20 days. Payment is made through the online mode.
Electronic Travel Authority
A person holding a valid passport of any of the 30 designated countries can apply for Electronic Travel Authority or ETA. ETA is a travel permit that does not require a person to submit an application to the Australian diplomatic office. ETA is directly linked to the passport allowing the person to visit Australia.
The ETA is valid for a year and allows the visitor to stay in Australia for 3 months for each visit made to the country.