Lung cancer is a type of cancer where a defective lungs forms small lumps of abnormal cells or a mass of tumour . These cells grows at a rampant pace causing considerable damage to the lungs. It not treated on an immediate basis could spread over to other parts of the body. It has to be stated that the lung is divided into right and left lobes. In case of the right there are 3 lobes whereas the left has 2 lobes.
If one has to pinpoint one of the main causes of lung cancer it has to be smoking tobacco. It is not only active smokers, but if you are exposed to second hand smoke that is the case of passive smoke, the chances of lung cancer increases. If you do possess a family history of lung cancer the risk also increases.
As far as the stage is concerned, it goes on to depict the size and the key aspect to find out is whether it is gone on to spread beyond the original site. If the doctor is aware of the extent of cancer, they are able to devise a treatment mechanism for the same. If you consider the treatment aspect it is being divided into the following stages
- The type 1 stage is where the cancer is localized and small
- The type 2 stage is where the cancer has gone on to cross over to the surrounding structures.
- Type 3 cancer would mean that it is spread over to the other parts of the body as well.
If you carefully analyse the small lung cancer type it is merely divided into two main stages
- Limited disease- In one of the lungs only you can spot the cancer. This could also be in the fluid around the lungs referred to as plural effusion
- Extensive disease- it does point to the fact that the cancer has spread beyond the lungs and normally it is the chest area or the other parts of the body as well.
When it is the case of small cancer it has been found out that it spreads around the lungs in a quick manner. This is in relation to the fact that during the scans if the doctor is not even able to ascertain the spread of cancer, the chances are on the higher side that some of the cancer cells would have broken off. By doing so they would have made an entry into the blood stream as well. They are being treated in such a manner such that the cancer has spread and whether you can go on to find any sources of secondary cancer or not.
Lung cancer treatment in India ranks among the top. A lot of credit has been given to the hospitals in this part of the world. If you compare their facilities it ranks among the top ones in the world. The rankings of the hospitals are a pointer to this fact as they have all the modern facilties.