Gujarati cuisine is one of the oldest cuisines of India. One may think that Gujarat is rich in seafood cuisine as it has an extensive coastline, but it is not true. Gujarati cuisine mostly includes vegetarian food as it is a state of Jain and Hindus. It offers a huge number of varieties in Vegetarian dishes. There are different types of snacks, pickles, and chutneys but the special thing about Gujarat is the sweetness in every dish. They surely use sweet flavor in their food. Other most common ingredients in their food are lemon and tomatoes. This makes a great flavor combination of sweet and sour.
People of Gujarat have their taste preferences according to their region like North Gujarat, and South Gujarat has a difference in their taste. Gujarati use more dairy products in their food as compared to other states. The area is hot and dry so, more chilled food is prepared. Some of the most famous dishes of Gujarat are:
• Khandvi: One of the most loveable snacks of Gujarat. This is roll shaped food made from gram flour and soothed with chopped coconut and curry leaves.
• Undhiyu: This is a mix-vegetable recipe which has a right amount of spices. This food is very healthy for the body as it contains veggies like brinjals, coconut, methi, banana, and potatoes.
• AamShrikhand with Mango Salad: This is purely a creamy dish as it involves only curd and mangoes. This is very simple or easy to make. A sprinkle of dry fruits and mango slices can be done to make it look attractive.
• Gujarati Kadhi: Curry is very common in Indian societies, but Gujarati Kadhi is somewhat special. The uniqueness of this dish is it contains a sweet flavor. The staple food of Gujarat has a great aroma, and curry leaves are also added for flavor.
• Bardoli Ki Khichdi: this dish looks like biryani but has a different taste. This fragrant rice is prepared along with dal, spices, peas, potatoes and raw mangoes. You should surely try this.
• Dhokla: Traditionally, made with a fermented batter of besan, this is also good for health. It is light and steamed food which makes easy to digest. There are different recipes of Dhokla. You can find online dhokla recipe without eno.
• MethiKaThepla: It is a well-known dish in India which has been originated from Gujarat. The thepla is a type of bread completely made from wheat flour consisting methi, chili, herbs, and yogurt.
• Dal Dhokli: A perfect dish for spicy food lovers. Wheat dumplings dipped in a hot curry made with tuvar dal, garlic peanuts, and turmeric.
• Handvo: a dish with a combination of crisp and soft. It is a tea cake which is crunchy from outside and soft from inside. It is made from dairy products to give a buttery taste.
You can find the full recipes for every dish stated above. You can learn how to make dhokla without ENO very easily as you can get the recipe with a step by step instructions also with photos explanations.