Ok I’m not sure there is such a thing as the greatest sport, but I do believe that tennis is fantastic sport for all ages, abilities and fitness levels and here’s some of the reasons why:
- Tennis is a game that provides both skill and tactical thinking, so not only is your body getting a work out but your brain is too.
- Competitive tennis is a serious calorie burner because of the aerobics involved in the movement, you are using every muscle of your body in order to navigate the pitch and hit the ball.
- Every match can be a fantastic game, from professional matches to amateur Sunday leagues.
- Tennis players score higher in vigour, optimism and self-esteem, whilst scoring lower in anger, depression, confusion and anxiety in comparison with out athletes and non-athletes, according to studies carries out by Dr Joan Finn et al, at the Southern Connecticut State University.
1. It’s an Individual Sport
this inter-team sport allows the whole of tennis to support an individual, not necessarily based on country loyalties, but their favourite player instead. I mean we all love Andy Murray, but there is no denying that Serena Williams or Roger Federer are amazing player to always provide some outstanding tennis to watch.
2. You can see them
It’s great that you can actually see the players without the distractions of uniforms, helmets or even padding. With facial expressions too, you can really get to know the player, see what emotions they are feeling and play along with them.
3. You Never Know
Every match has the chance to run over 4 hours, and for me, the game isn’t boring like cricket, you can see physical exhaustion battling the desire to win. Although, there have been some extremely quick tennis matches, especially those who are playing lower league players, it is obviously an easier game for the professionals and they normally win in straight sets – but the great thing is, anyone can surprise you. As every match is made up of games, sets and points, it is not necessarily always easy to predict who is going to win.
4. Women are Equal
Yes, I said it. Even though the style of play is different, it is equally as interesting. I mean did you see Serena Williams and Heather Watson’s tennis match? It was fantastic! There is no rule changes either, except shorter matches in the major games. Not to mention the mixed doubles teams, the coupling to two different genders really brings together a unique game.
5. Different Surfaces
If you’ve watched tennis matches before you may have noticed that most are played in different courts; from hard courts, clay, grass and even carpet courts. They all provide their own challenges and advantages which separates the good players from the great. With Wimbledon being on grass courts, this always provides an interesting slippery surface for some of the great players.
6. No Season. It Runs All Year!
There is almost no down time in tennis, especially if you want to be a pro tennis player, you have to be ready to play probably 10-11 months out of the year. There are plenty of sports school tennis tours that run all year round – why not persuade your child to give it a go today!
After some of these health and general game facts, it’s a question why not all of us are playing tennis? Why not take up the hobby today, or just give it a try to see if you like it, you never know, you might really enjoy yourself, make new friends and get a great workout!