You may have thought about it for months, even years – and have been preparing for this moment for quite some time. But the move is finally here and you’re frantically trying to make sure that everything goes according to plan. It’s a sensation like no other; only those who have gone through a move before know what this particular type of mix between stress and exhilaration feels like.
To state on the offset: you should prepare well in advance if you’re going to move; that’s the only way to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. However, there are bound to be some things that remain unchecked – and that’s where we come in: here are your last-minute pointers to moving: some useful reminders for a more efficient move.
Top tips for moving
There are many things you should do, but here are some of the most important ones:
- Label all your boxes. This will not only ensure you know what’s in them but also lets you know in which room they have to go once you start loading them into your new home. It saves a lot of time and helps ensure nothing gets broken or lost.
- Light bulbs – make sure your new house has them.
- Screws and bolts. They get lost easily, so be very organised with them. Place them in freezer bags and tape them to the furniture they belong to.
You want to make sure everyone knows you’re moving – notify all important people, as well as the post office so they can forward your correspondence.
On the day itself
Here are some tips for the day itself:
- Make sure all utilities are properly shut off – electricity, water, gas, and so on.
- Clean your old place and take pictures before you leave – this may be important, especially if you are renting. You don’t want a hassle with the old landlord.
- Make sure you know when the garbage is collected, where the electrical safety measures are –etc, in your new house.
- Ensure you have a camping kit available for the first two nights: instant coffee, sleeping bags, tissue paper, and so on. You may not be able to unpack everything on the first day, as house removals Cheltenham experts from Advanced Removals & Storage know all too well.
It should be understood that nothing can compare to proper planning and preparation, though – if you know you’re going to be moving soon, then start as early as possible; meaning, start planning now. Begin by going through all the stuff that you have lying around and see if there are things you don’t need anymore (one great advantage about a move is that it’s the perfect opportunity to de-clutter). That way you can end by being proud that you’ve made it through a difficult challenge. Happy moving!